Below is a program outline for a 4 day training that I recently led.
In attendance were 25 Front Line Employees and 10 of the companies Leadership Team.
Over the 4 days the specific outcomes were;
- A focus, goals set, accountability recognized and action plans put into place to increase quality and productivity.
+ Leading to a decrease in wasted materials / resources and lost opportunity due to communication breakdowns and in-fighting.
- Increase in communication between shifts and between co-workers about work-related issues.
+ Leading to a decrease in over-lapping and repeated processes, as well as decreases in the amount of time needed for set up between and before shifts.
- Increase in team unity by getting the team to value the other team members and share information that will aid the team in success.
+ Leading to a decrease in lateness, absenteeism, and noticed decrease "us" vs. "them" mentality of Leadership and Front Line Workers.
Team-Building Program Outline:
Pre-Sessions – Introduce Mike Cardus to the team.
- All participants will take the DiSC assessment: DiSC Workshops. Overview of personal and team personality and behaviors.
Open Program –
Who are we and why are we here (team and facilitators)
- Cover organizational; team; participant; facilitator Goals
- Team behaviors for the remaining programs – long term behaviors within workplace
- Intra-Department Team Listening & Speaking
- Inter-Department Team Listening & Speaking
Revisit Goals and Behaviors as needed
- Tuckman’s stages of Group Development Forming-Storming-Norming-Performing-Adjourning
- Listening & Speaking for understanding of groups stage & implications on team planning
- Non-Verbal Communication skills & pitfalls on communication
- Stress & the effects on team performance and communication-skills to recognize stress within self & team members. Skills to listen & speak effectively within stressful interactions.
Revisit goals & behaviors
How are we doing? What are you (the team) doing different?
- Sharing information for group success – breaking the “not my job philosophy”
- Creating group and team accountability – from the team leaders to the team members
- Conflict Styles – Competing; Collaborating; Compromising; Avoiding; Accommodating
- Using Conflict & Accountability to lower cycle time & increase throughput
Revisit behaviors, communication (listening and speaking), Conflict-Accountability
- “Silo” development – how they can help and hinder individuals who make the teams.
- Shift to Team Goals and accomplishments – shifts working together for overarching organizational goals
- Overview of Team Performance Model
- Team & Personal action plans for the future
- PARTY! Team presentations celebration.
- Hand out certificates and award ceremony
FOLLOW UP: ~15 days after last session – done during shift times 60-90 minutes per shift
Revisit workshops and goals with teams
- What has changed within the teams (between shifts & within shifts)
- Reinforce information & Knowledge sharing
- Reinforce Team & Shift Accountability
- What do you (teams) feel you need more of from us (facilitators) from The Company for continued success?
All team building programs are customized and developed for your unique organization.
Contact us to discuss and create a customized indoor or outdoor TeamBuilding Program for your company & Team!
-Michael Cardus is the founder of Create-Learning-Team Building, an experiential based training and development consulting organization, as well as a blogger for TeamBuilding NY. Mike specializes in team development and leadership development consulting and training, creating team-building programs that retain talented staff members, increase production and effectiveness of your team. He lives in Buffalo, NY, and travels to you to serve your team-building and leadership training needs, wherever and whenever fits your schedule.